FCSU helps its members succeed through education by awarding over $79,000 in college scholarships each year.
FCSU College Scholarship 2018
Eighty (80) ONE-TIME SCHOLARSHIPS will be awarded to the winners.
– 75 scholarships in the amount of $1,000.00.
– A “Philip Hrobak Scholarship” and “Stephanie Husek Scholarship” in the amount of $1,250.00 each will be awarded to the highest ranking male and female applicants respectively.
– Three Scholarships of $1,000.00 each will be given from the “John A. Sabol Nursing Scholarship Fund” to applicants who have been accepted into either an approved three or four year hospital nursing program or a fully-accredited college of their choice.
In addition, upon proof of college graduation and completed insurance application, each recipient will be issued a paid up $3,000 Single Premium Life Insurance Policy.
THE RULES AND REQUIREMENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
1. Applicants must have: a minimum of $5,000.00 reserve insurance (Ordinary Whole Life, Twenty Pay Whole Life, or Single Premium Whole Life); or minimum of $10,000.00 JEP Policy; or minimum of $1,000 annuity with the FCSU for at least four years prior to April 1st of the year of graduation from high school. All scholarship winners must maintain this insurance in force during their college years. Applicants must be insured prior to April 1, 2014 to be eligible under the rules of this period.
2. Applicants must apply for grants in the Spring of their senior year of high school, between the ages of 17 and 19.
3. Applicants must have applied for the Fall term of 2018 at a qualifying institution. Please note that applicants should include the qualifying institution(s) to which they have applied even if they have not yet received formal acceptance from the institution(s) at the time of their application to the First Catholic Slovak Union.
4. Applicants must submit an official Scholarship application that can be obtained from a branch officer, the Home Office or download an application from here
5. Letters of recommendation with descriptive narratives that help discern the personal qualities and
characteristics of the applicant are the most helpful. Please note that letters of recommendation from relatives of applicants will not be accepted.
6. Each application must be accompanied by a photo of the applicant. If possible, please provide a high quality head shot that is suitable for publication and online posting. Hi-res jpegs are most desirable and may be emailed simultaneously with your paper application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Applications will be accepted only on the proper forms. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS (THOSE WHICH ARE RECEIVED NOT FULLY COMPLETED OR DO NOT HAVE ALL ATTACHMENTS) WILL BE INVALID AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED BY THE SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE.
8. Winners will be chosen by the Scholarship Committee (an independent group of professional educators) according to their individual merit in categories of high school cumulative grade point averages, extracurricular activities, talents, achievements, initiative, communication skills, transcripts and S.A.T. and/or A.C.T. test scores. Please note that applications conveying adherence to and pride in the founding tenets of the First Catholic Slovak Union such as faith, fraternalism, family, and/or ethnic heritage are highly desired.
9. Final award checks will be made payable to the winners upon submitting a proof of college enrollment not later than the fall term of the following year (fall semester of 2019).
10. Applicants must submit a completed application to:
Scholarship Program, First Catholic Slovak Union, 6611 Rockside Road, Suite 300, Independence, OH 44131
Applications must be postmarked by midnight, February 28, 2018
All applications without the above stipulated postmark will be considered invalid.